Carrie Bearden, Chair
John Condron, Chair-Elect
Janice Causey, Secretary/Treasurer
Nancy Crothers, Asst. Secretary/Treasurer
2019: Carrie Bearden, Jan Causey, Nancy Crothers, Charlie Thurman
2020: John Condron, Kathy Leichty, Bettie McCormick, Tom Rohleder
2021: Greg Leichty, David Beverly
Bob Blaser, John Brown, Charlie Gatton, Roxie Hoffman, Tom Howard, Jack Pontrich, Ken Raymond Sr., Julia Tate, Wendell Todd
Deacon Ministry Teams:
Benevolence: Charlie Thurman, Nancy Crothers, Tom Rohleder
Communion: Carrie Bearden, Kathy Leichty, Charlie Thurman
Hospital Visitation: John Condron, Kathy Leichty, Bettie McCormick
New Members: Jan Causey, Tom Rohleder,
Shepherd Ministry: Jan Causey, Nancy Crothers, Bettie McCormick
Our Diaconate may consist of three (3) deacons elected for each one hundred (100) active church members. Deacons shall be nominated and elected in the Fall of the year except when filling a vacancy. The term of office will normally begin on January 1 and will be for three years or until a successor is elected. No deacon will be re-elected to the diaconate except that he or she be inactive for one (1) year prior to re-election.
Duties of a Deacon:
- They are to cooperate with the pastor and with all officers and members of the church.
- They are to zealously guard the unity of the spirit within the church in the bonds of peace.
- They shall serve as a council to advise and confer with the pastor in all matters pertaining to the welfare and work of the church.
- They are to establish and maintain personal relationship with all the members of the church. They are to seek to know the physical needs and the moral and spiritual struggles of the brothers and sisters. They are to serve the church in the capacities of encouraging missions, prayer, Bible study and church leadership.
- In counsel with the pastor and by such methods as the Holy Scripture may direct in accordance with New Testament teachings, they are to have oversight of the discipline of the church. In administering discipline they are to be guided in all matters by the principles set forth in Matthew 18:15-17, I Corinthians 5:9-13 and I Thessalonians 5:12-14
- The deacons shall be free to call upon any member of the church to aid in disciplinary action.
- The deacons shall serve as a consulting body for the finance ministry team. They shall organize themselves as they deem best for this, calling to their assistance other members of the church as deemed necessary. They do not act as a judging board regarding the budget but in an advisory capacity.
Qualifications to be a deacon:
- A deacon should bear some resemblance to the seven who were chosen in Acts 6 and the character description in I Timothy 3:8-13 in conduct and spiritual maturity.
- The deacon shall be a mature person who is of serious disposition and spiritual maturity in relation to the work of Christ and His church. This quality shall have been exemplified in faithful attendance, Christian stewardship and a high level of respect established within the congregation.
- The deacon shall encourage by work and example, only those types of personal behavior and habits that are healthy for the body and helpful to others.
- The deacon shall have been a member of the Buechel Park Baptist Church for two (2) years, or a sufficient length of time and to a sufficient degree of involvement to be well known in the congregation.
- The deacon shall be an example of Christian maturity in family relationships.
- The deacon shall be a servant of the church who shall assist in the pastoral ministry in cooperation with the pastoral staff.
- The deacon shall be above reproach in Christian moral practice inside and outside the church.
- The deacon shall have a basic understanding of the Christian faith in doctrinal expression.
- The deacon shall be a person who recognizes that Christian growth in understanding, in devotional maturity and in discipleship is a part of being a human follower of Christ.
- The deacon shall manifest a spirit of humility which recognizes and accepts one’s own humanness as well as the humanness of others.